Friday, July 31, 2009

Imagery of Fire & Flame

I've been thinking about how often the imagery of fire and flame appears in my writing as well as my imagination and thoughts...I wouldn't say that I use it more than anything else, but quite often, especially when writing somewhat erotic pieces. It's not unusual, I suppose, but I come from a very - let's just say - HEATED history and still, to this day, smell fire or feel heat when there isn't anything obvious happening or showing. When I was little I would get up in the night searching for fires quite often and that still happens occasionally because I really do smell it. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and this may explain some of it.

I like to sit and watch flames dance, just sit in the quiet watching in a somewhat meditative state. I do this with candles and fireplaces and rarely (these days) bon fires. It can be used as a door into deeper parts of myself or connect me to the Universe so I can receive messages. It may be my so-called 'lack' of fire in my chart (I have to laugh about that though, as I can be very fiery - I do truly count my Aries DSC and my first house planets), or it may be my history. Perhaps a combination of things...but what I am dancing around is my quest to understand why I so often use fire in erotic works. The passion? The feeling of being consumed? Dying such a glorious 'death'...or the desire to be so intensely involved with a special someone that it feels as if we are so hot for one another that we ARE on fire?

Yes, I know, I can be a bit of a dreamer but I do have intense needs and desires. Yet I am a realist enough to understand that no one can actually set the sheets on fire (or can they? lol)...nor would I truly want to catch fire (again) but it is a sensual, consuming image and I like it.

LOL...this is how my mind works, in twists and turns until I come to the conclusion. All that jabber lead me back to a simple "sensual, consuming image and I like it." There's the answer.

So...I have a new poem up called Falling Away in Ashes with, yes, fire and flames and burning consumption...

No comments: